Korean Kitty

Monday, January 16, 2006

Vietnam - Day 3

Today we went to see the "The Temple of Literature" which had crazy amounts of Korean tourists. Most of the Korean tourists are in huge travel tours. It's slightly entertaining. Plus, Jaclyn, Meghan, Andy & I all like to yell at each other in Korean. One needs to be a little careful with what one says in Korean near the tourists.

I stopped in the gift shop to look for a Vietnam War book, but didn't have any luck. However, I could have bought the new Harry Potter in Vietnamese. I resisted that temptation though.

The temple was very tranquil. It had the works of Confucius, Mencius, and other Confusion disciples. It was built in 1070 to honor Confucius. In 1076 Vietnam's First University was erected near this site. There were things carved into large scrolls on turtles all in stone - I don't know the significance of this, other than that the turtle is very revered and respected in Vietnamese culture.

We had a nice talk in the coutryard with an Australian women. Apparently while in South Africa, she caught malaria. She said it wasn't fun - not that it matters, we don't have the medication for it.

At dinner I started to feel sick. Both Andy and Jaclyn had been feeling ill yesterday. Our theory is that there is something strange in the coffee. It was very VERY strong coffee - and very thick. Tomorrow I'm not drinking any - and I'm not going to let anyone else drink any either. So, I ended up chilling at the hotel while everyone went out. Oh well

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home